Friday, November 09, 2007

My Comment at Anurag Kashyap's Blog

Dear Anurag,

Thank you for making the truly brilliant "No Smoking". I am personally in debt to you.

I know critics have reviewed it badly. But fuck them man!

I am a nobody. But let me predict that this movie is going to be a cult classic and although you may be spurned as a Director from the mainstream film industry, for fans like me who care about good cinema, you have come as a godsend.

Don't lose heart if junta punishes you, critics berate you and producers harangue you. You are a genius and such is the fate reserved for all great artists.

You may have lost some producers, some money, some sleep but you have gained a DIE HARD FAN in me.

If I have money tomorrow, I'll gladly produce your film in the future. But given that your luck isn't good, I am broke.

Accept praise from a humble fan!

Yours Truly,
Nanga Fakir.



I won't try to review the movie (at least not now). Suffice it to say that it is the single most important picture that Hindi Cinema has produced in many, many, many long years. It is finally solid indication that Hindi Cinema has come of age.

Anurag Kashyap is arrogant. But he is also a genius. This picture is a masterpiece in the wonderful tradition of Fellini's "8 1/2" and Kafka's "The Metamorphosis","The Trial", "The Castle" (hell, even the hero is called K-the hero's name in Metamorphosis!) etc. I am so in love with the movie!

If I were a girl, I would flat out ask Anurag Kashyap to marry me. Thankfully I am not!

You can read what Kashyap himself has to say about his movie at his blog.

PS: I added this movie in my (in)famous (???) "Top Movies" list before the first half got over. That is a new record I guess!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

K. was the protagonist in The Trial. Not The Metamorphosis.

Nanga Fakir said...

Yes...but you did get the point I believe.